HATEEM...
 arrow shows hateem
1. A half circled place adjacent to Kabat-ullah is called  "HATEEM".

2 .  It is originally the inner side of Kabat-ullah but in the times of Prophet Syedna Muhammad
(S. A. W.), it could not be built completely due to non availability of funds. It means holy kaba was initially in slight rectangle shape not as squared as we see today. Is walls orininal size was as follows:

Eastern wall (from Hajar a Aswad to rukn a Iraqi) 32 Zeraa
Northern wall (from rukn a Iraqi to rukn a Shami) 22 Zeraa
Western wall (from rukn a Shami to rukn a Yamani) 31 Zeraa
Southern wall (from rukn a Yamani to Hajar a Aswaad) 20 Zeraa

(Zeraa means Arm)

ONE THING MUST BE CLEARED IN MIND:
Whole the Hateem area is not Kabbas' inner side
It must be noted here that an area of approximately 3 meters adjacent to the wall on the side of the Hateem actually constitutes as being part of the Ka’bah, the rest falls outside the Ka’bah. It is however clear that Tawaf must be performed outside the complete area of the Hateem. The rest part is of Hateem was actually the shelter of Syedna ismael allihi salam and his mother syeda Bibi hajra and it is called HAJR_E_ISMAEL.

Whole curved wall area is not inner part of Kaba .The area only 3 meters from kaba wall is
inner kaba area and rest the back area till the hateem curved wall is the spot of syedna ismael
A.S and syeda Bibi Hajras' shelter where they used to live.

3. Hateem is actually the inner part of kaba + shelter of Ismael A.S  and because of this fact the tawaf is done out side hateem.

In green showing inner portion of Kaba . In blue it is shelter of syedna
ismael, never remained in side kabba.(Red dot wall is just imaginary
to understand position.

It means tawaf is done in rectangular shape covering holy kaba as well as hateem and hijr-e-ismael . Secondly no compulsory salat (5 times mandatory prayers) is permitted to offer in hateem. Hateem is closed when the imam leads 5 time compulsory prayer. However pilgrims may offer their nafils (optional prayers) in this area. pilgrims try to offer two rakat nafil here quickly as it is very little place and many many muslim brothers and sisters wait for their turn. Ladies may also offer their nafil salat here behind men at any time.

4 .This place has been kept open  so that a worshiper could  get the opportunity to pray (NAFIL) here. It is just an equal honour for a faithful as he prays inside the Kabat-ullah.

5 .  According to  a school of thoughts, it is the place where the Prophet Muhammad (S. A. W.) was taking rest in  meraj night when Jibrael (Allaihi Salaam) came and kissed his feet. Muhammad (S. A. W.) woke up and then the Jibrael  Allisisalam told him that he had come to take him for MERAJ in skies.

6 .  It is said that Syedna ISMAIL (Allaihi Salaam) and his Mother Syeda HAJIRA (Allaihi Salaam) are lying to rest under "Hateem" but their physical graves are not visible . people must not be curious to explore the graves of these two noble personalities as it is the place of Almighty Allah and they must try to keep their full attention towards  his Lord.

7 . Hateem is also called Hajar. 
____________________________________________________________
             HATEEM BEING REPAIRED IN
                           YEAR 1999

                            (PIC COURTESY BY MAKKAHWAI)


___________________________________________________________

              ANOTHER HATEEM CONSTRUCTION
                                       PICTURE 1999



Holy Kaaba, Hateem, and Hajr-e-Ismail

(by M. Zubair Makba)

It is the northern wall of Kaba in Hateem side.

In front of the northern wall of the Holy Kaba (Northern wall is the wall on which Mezab a Rahmat is located) there is a 1.31 meter high semi-circular wall. The area between the northern wall of Kaba and this semi-circular wall is commonly known as Hateem. Some people also call this area as Hijr a Ismail, but in reality this area consists of both.

Before Islam the last construction of Kaba took place in the year 35th Meladi, by the Quraish, and unfortunately it was the first time in the history of Kaba that the original Ibrahimi foundation of Kaba was not followed. The Kaba was reduced from the northern side due to the lack of construction fund.

This construction lasted up till 64th Hijrah. During the rule of Yazeed bin Mawiah, his commander Haseen bin Numair Kundi took siege of Masjid Al Haram where Hazrat Abdullah bin Zubair had taken shelter. Haseen bin Numair pelted stones on the holy mosque which resulted in cracking down all the four walls of Kaba. During this siege the news of Yazeed bin Mawiah`s death arrived and Haseen left the siege and went back to Shaam. When the situation settled down and Hazrat Abdullah bin Zubair became the Khalifa he started reconstruction of the Kaba. This was 64th Hijrah.

After demolishing the Kaba the floor of the Kaba was dug and Ibrahimi foundation was reached. Hazrat Abdullah bin Zubair showed this foundation to the people of Makkah and other Ashabas, and after making them witness he reconstructed the Kaba on Ibrahimi foundation and shape. After the construction the dimension of the Kaba was as follows:

Eastern wall (from Hajar a Aswad to rukn a Iraqi) 32 Zeraa
Northern wall (from rukn a Iraqi to rukn a Shami) 22 Zeraa
Western wall (from rukn a Shami to rukn a Yamani) 31 Zeraa
Southern wall (from rukn a Yamani to Hajar a Aswaad) 20 Zeraa

Zeraa means Arm. It is an old unit of length which means the length from the tip of the center finger up to the elbow (Qamoos Al Moheet and Taj Al Arous). The heights of the walls were increased from 19 Zeraa to 27 Zeraa and instead of only one eastern door another door at the western wall was fixed. To reach the roof stairs were built on the Rukn-a-Iraqi side. The roof was wooden and was supported by 3 wooden pillars built in the center of Kaba which lay in the same line. (These pillars were reinforced in the year 1332 Hijrah and in 1417 Hijrah they were replaced).

The Istelaam of all four corners of the Kaba started as now it was built on the original Ibrahimi foundation. This situation stayed for 10 years. In the year 74th Hijrah, Hijjaj bin Yousuf killed Hazrat Abdullah bin Zubair and mislead Khalifah Abdul Malik bin Marwan by a letter saying that Hazrat Abdullh bin Zubair has changed the shape of Kaba on his own contrivance, and it should be put back to its old shape.

After getting the approval of the Khalifah he reduced the Kaba from the northern side by 6 hands and one Balisht (a unit of length meaning from the tip of the little finger to the tip of the thumb of a fully stretched palm of a grown average man) which brought Kaba back to the dimensions of the Quraish. When Abdul Malik bin Marwan came for Hajj in 75th Hijrah he came to know about the real situation and felt sorry. He tried to put back Kaba on the dimensions of Hazrat Abdullah bin Zubair but the Ulema did not allow him as they were afraid that the Kaba will become a play ground among the rulers. Even Khalifah Haroon Rasheed tried for the same but was stopped by Imam Malik and other Ulema.

Keeping the above in mind we come to the conclusion that from the northern wall of the Kaba a distance of 6 hands and one "Balisht" towards the semi circle wall is the area of the Kaba which was left by the Quraish during construction due to the lack of construction fund and this is known as Hateem, and rest of the area up to the semi circle wall is Hijr a Ismail.

The figure 6 hands and one Balisht is taken from a book "Akhbar a Makkah" by Azraqi, while in a book "Maraat Al Harmain" by Rifat Basha the distance of Hateem is written as 3.12 meters.

The Historians agree that from 64 Hijrah to 1040 Hijrah the need of reconstruction of the holy Kaba did not arise except for repair work which took place from time to time. On 19th Shabaan Wednesday 1039 Hijrah a very heavy rainfall took place in Makkah which resulted in a huge amount of water accumulation in the holy Mosque. Water level was above the door of the Kaba. Next day near the Assr time first the northern wall of Kaba fell down then the eastern wall up to the door fell down, after that half of the western wall and the roof collapsed.

This was the "Usmani rule" and Sultan Murad Khan was the ruler. After taking the necessary Fatawa he started the reconstruction of the holy Kaba. The Kaba was rebuilt on the Zubairi foundation as it was still strong, but no change was made in the shape and dimensions. The stones for construction of the Kaba were taken from a mountain of Makkah which was known as Jabal a Shubaikah but afterwards this mountain became famous as Jabal a Kaba.

On 1377 Hijrah, Mohammed Tahir Kurdi the writer of "Tareekh Al Qaweem" counted the number of stones used in the construction of Kaba. It was a total of 1614 out of which 419 stones were on the eastern wall, 449 on the western, 318 on the northern, and 428 on the southern wall. Most of the stones were about 90 centimeters thick.

Since 1040 Hijrah to date no reconstruction of the Kaba has taken place except repair work, and still the old construction is very strong. The present golden door of the Kaba was fixed on 1399 Hijrah by King Khalid bin Abdul Aziz. The present dimensions of the Kaba are as follows:

Northern wall 11.03 meters
Southern wall 11.28 meters
Eastern wall 12.70 meters
Western wall 12.04 meters

The distance from the center of the northern wall to the center of Hijr a Ismail wall is around 8.44 meters. The distance between Safa and Marwa is 394 meters.

(The above information has been translated from different chapters of a book and has been arranged into sequence)




 

 
 

HAJRA -E- ASVAD ( BLACK STONE)
hajr e asavad being kissed
It is a black stone of Heaven.

It is fixed in one of the corners of a wall of Kabat-ullah.

Hajra-e-Asvad - Black Stone

                                                                      close view of black stone
During "Tawaf", kissing to this stone is essential but if there is a crowd, one can touch or wave hands towards it to fulfil the requirement. In arabic it is called ISTELAM.

seven rounds of 'Tawaf" starts from the place where this Black Stone is fixed.

Now a black line has been drawn on the floor of white "Mutaf", so that people could determine the exact place of stone, if they are far from Kabat-ullah in rush time.
 

At the end of Muharram, 1351 A.H., an Afghani came and pulled out
 a piece of the Stone, stole a piece of the Kabah 
covering and a piece
 of silver from the Ka`bah ladder. The guards caught him.     Then, he
 has been sentenced to death as 
punishment. On the 28th of Rabi`  I,
1351 A.H., His Majesty King            `Abdul-'Aziz bin `Abdul-Rahman
Al-Faisal Al-Sa'ud, 
came from Ta'if to the Sacred Mosque  where he
 reaffixed the piece which had been pulled out by that damned person.

He used a chemical    compound    mixed with   musk and    ambergris
specially prepared by chemists to affix that piece
.Those eight pieces
of hajr-e-Asvad are visible on ight hand pic

 

SEE VIDEO ----BLACK STONE
 
 
AN ACADEMIC  ARTICLE 
_______________________
HISTORY OF ACCIDENTS
WITH BLACK STONE
(hajra_e_asvad) 

The Black Stone 
   1. It was Abraham (peace be upon him) who first fixed the Black Stone in its position. It 
       is a precious stone from Paradise. 

   2. When Banu Bakr bin `Abd Manah bin Kinanah and Ghishan bin Khuza`ah forced 
     Jurhum to leave Mecca, `Amr bin Al-Harith bin Mudad Al-Jurhumi buried two golden 
     deer and the Black Stone in the Well of Zam zam. Then, he set forth with the Jurhumi 
     fellows for Yemen. 

   3. The Black Stone did not rest for long in the Well of Zam zam. A woman from 
     Khuza`ah led her people to its hiding place, for she had seen Jurhum burying it. They, 
     therefore, restored it to its position. This took place before the construction of Qusaiy 
     bin Kilab. 

   4. Under the leadership of Abu Tahir, the Karmathians seized Mecca. They killed seven 
     hundred persons inside the Sanctuary while they were clinging to the Ka`bah. With their bodies Abu Tahir filled Zamzam 
     up and floored the Sacred Mosque and its precincts. Moreover, he usurped the people's wealth, jewels of the Ka`bah 
     and ripped its curtains apart. He shared out the covering of the Ka`bah amongst his followers, practised plunder age, 
     pulled out the Ka`bah door and the golden waterspout. On the seventh of Dhul-Hijjah, 317 A.H. Abu Tahir ordered 
     Ja`afar bin `Ilaj to remove the the Black Stone. That followed committing many atrocities against those who 
     circumambulated the Sacred House, took seclusion for worship, bowed, or prostrated themselves therein [in Prayer]. 
     The Karmathians took the Black Stone to Hajar (their homeland), leaving its place in the Ka`bah empty. The people, 
     seeking blessing, used to put their hands in its empty place until the Black Stone had been restored by Sunbur bin 
     Al-Hasan the Karmathian on Tuesday, the Day of Sacrifice, 339 A.H. Thus, the Stone remained missing for about 
     twenty-two years. 

   5. In 363, a Roman approached the Black Stone and hit it violently with an axe which made a scratch that is still apparent 
     therein. He raised his arm to hit it again, but a Yemeni stabbed him. 

   6. In the Year 413, the Fatimids sent some of their Egyptian followers 
     who were induced by Al-Hakim Al-`Ubaidi. Among them was a man 
     with reddish-blond hair, well built and tall. He carried a sword and a 
     crowbar. He hit the Stone thrice and splinters flew. He said, "Until 
     when will that Stone be worshipped? Neither Muhammad nor `Ali 
     can prevent me from what I am doing. I am determined to pull this 
     House down." Whereupon, he was surrounded by the Knights who 
     killed and burnt him together with his supporters." 

   7. In 990 A.H., a non Arab came with a crowbar in his hand and hit the 
     Black Stone. Prince Nasser, however, stabbed him to death. 

   8. At the end of Muharram, 1351 A.H., an Afghani came and pulled out a piece of the Stone, stole a piece of the Ka`bah 
     covering and a piece of silver from the Ka`bah ladder. The guards caught him. Then, he has been sentenced to death as 
     punishment. On the 28th of Rabi` I, 1351 A.H., His Majesty King `Abdul-'Aziz bin `Abdul-Rahman Al-Faisal Al-Sa'ud, 
     came from Ta'if to the Sacred Mosque where he re-affixed the piece which had been pulled out by that damned person. 
     He used a chemical compound mixed with musk and ambergris specially prepared by chemists to affix that piece
 

 



MULTAZIM

Multazim

1. The kaba wall which is adjacent to the Golden Gate of Kabat-ullah is called "Multazim".

2. It is just in front of "MUQAM-E-IBRAHIM". It  is just under the benefits and mercies of ALLAH.

3. Men generally beg  Allah by touching their chests to the wall after completing their seven rounds of
"Tawaf". Due ti heavy rush of men on multazim, ladies should not try to come here. it is not a compulsory element of umra,haj or tawaf.
_________________________________
      It is new look of kaba door

______________________________
    It is  an old  look of kaba door
         (approx 80 years old)

MIZAB -E- REHMAT

1 .It is a water spout, which drops in Hateem. During rain, when the water of Kaba Roof falls down in Hateem through this Mizab, it is considered very pure and holy water. If  someone gets this chance, he must use this water to wet his whole body.


                       WATER SPOUT  ON THE TOP OF THE ROOF

an old water spout .now kept in top copy museum turkey
THIS IS AN OLD WATER SPOUT WHICH IS NOW KEPT IN  TOPKOPI  MUSEUM IN  TURKEY

2. Measurement Of Present Water Spout
Length                        258 cm.
Width (inner side)         23 cm.
Height                          58 cm.

3. Mizab is fixed with Kabbatullah with Silver nails.

4. According to Prophet P.B.U.H. duas are accepted if begged under mizab. One should beg duas under mizab for heaven, for marriages of daughters, and for avoiding the fire of hell.

5. Offering prayers under it is like to pray in heaven..
___________________________________________________
                      A CLOSE LOOK OF MIZAB
                               WATER SPOUT____________________


An old water spout which  has been preserved
in  Holy Makkas' architecture exibition  ituated
   25 kilometers  away from Makkah on old  
              Makkah-jeddah high way

List Page Next Page
Previous Page